Friday, April 18, 2008

I have utmost respect for all caregivers out there. I had a brief encounter as a caregiver this morning. My grandma was due for her blood test and check up at the hospital. Everyone else was working. Usually dad would bring her. But today, after convincing her that I can take her (she proudly insisted she could go herself, when seriously, she cant la), we set off.

Gosh. When she had to get her blood taken, I almost cried. She was in pain. And the nurses kept poking her because she had too little blood to fill even one tube. She started wincing and I couldnt take it. Thank goodness they managed to get half a tube. They were supposed to collect 2 full tubes. But she really couldnt give that much. So Im glad the nurses agreed with me to work on what they have.

So we hobbled over to get her some breakfast cos she had to fast overnight for the test. Hobbled. I guess Im so used to walking quickly. Patience.

More waiting. Waited an hr for the check up. In the room, she was 'negotiating' with the doc as to how frequent she had to come down for tests. 6 weeks. They settled on that. He wanted a scope to be done. She was on the verge of screaming. She doesnt want a tube stuck down her throat. He looked at me. Im not used to making these kinds of decisions. So I asked him, is it very necessary and urgent. He seemed annoyed. He said no. Then I said, we'll discuss this at home. She doesnt want it now. If she decides otherwise, we'll set it up.

Waiting room. Cashier.

Pharmacy. Wait. Collect medicine. 13 different kinds of pills. With all sorts of instructions. Wait. Pay. I love medisave.

Tired. I am super tired. But its my last lesson in nus forever perhaps.

3.5 hrs at the hosp is draining. I have to leave home in 10 minutes.

I'm sleepy. I'm tired. But I will go on.

Patience. Discipline. Filial piety. Fortitude.

Learnt all of these in my last day of school.

END POST~2.19pm

No comments: