Ah yes, I was going to give my personal take on the current debate about whether a certain law should be abolished. Oh bother. Now Im too lazy to type it out even though I came up with a pretty good post in my head.
But the crux of it is that we simple are not ready and quiet frankly, we may never be ready to revoke it. Does that justify the status quo? Hmm.
Is it fair to those who choose to have sexual habits that are different from the others? Definitely not.
Is it right for the state to trespass on the mate preferences of an individual? Definitely not.
The right to be different. Rights.
After all, if I choose to eat prata, it is my business isnt it? Because I have to fulfil my basic need to survive and I like prata.
But if I choose to kill and eat you, will that still be acceptable as my right to nutrition? An extreme example, I know.
Point is, levels of acceptability are defined by people. We dont eat one another cos we endanger our each and everyone's existence, and that is unacceptable unless we can agree on who we should or should not kill to eat ie, set boundaries. In any case, laws are erect to protect people from acts that fall outside these boundaries of acceptibility.
While same sex preferences does not cause harm (in fact, I feel harm is too unneccessarily harsh a word to use) to others directly, it causes discomfort to others and threatens their deep seated believes and schemas which are governed and manifested in 'moral' or religious doctrines.
So I understand why majority are rooting that the law in question remains. Cos they feel threatened.
But the thing is, must protection come with punishment? Should same sex couples be charged for commiting acts which fulfil their basic needs for emotional and sexual attachment?
The whole furor now came about because that law should have never been formally placed. People have indirect means of shunning an act and placing boundaries. But to punish and conform the needs of others is wrong, esp by the state.
But abolishing the law now is tantamount to sending the message that it is now acceptable ,when it isnt.
It isnt acceptable to people because they cannot reconcile it with their personal and/or collective views on it.
But it is also wrong to deny same sex couples the right to their needs.
What to do? I guess we must all first be tolerant and rational. That is the first step to understanding and the accepting. It took a long time before women had the right to education and blacks and whites could study in the same school.
Its going to take an even longer time for people to accept same sex couples. Discussing about sex itself was or maybe still is difficult and taboo because of the intimate, private and basic nature of it. Whats more to talk about sex preferences?
I say, keep the law for now. Educate the masses because I dont buy their 'disturbing the moral fabric' argument. Seems pretty airy fairy.
Educate. Then see how it goes in future.
Although I have a feeling the law's gonna stay for a very very long time.
Oh why cant people get along?
END POST~1.40pm
No comments:
Post a Comment